Saturday, July 30, 2011

Google Earth Across the Curriculum

GE Image property of http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/earth_logo_large.jpg


Most of us have seen the wonders of traveling the earth courtesy of Google Earth, but have you had the chance to consider its vast resources and how they might help you in the classroom? Google Earth has become one of those resources I can't live without as it contains so many incredible pieces that complement each part of my curriculum. Whether I'm using it for a geography lesson or conducting a lesson on area, you can be sure that I'm going to use Google Earth first! 


In fact, the more I learn about Google Earth the more I grow to love it and appreciate all the different facets of it! Lately I've been doing many presentations for educators on the benefits of Google Earth and just how they might use it in their classes, whether they're teaching kindergartners or college students, whether they're discussing science or art. 


Here is a link to the outline I use for my course: tinyurl.com/GEATC2. Inside you'll find tons of links to fantastic resources and ideas for projects. One of the most beneficial links you'll find is to a document I worked up regarding Google Earth Layers: tinyurl.com/GEATC2Layers. This document lists all the layers within Google Earth 6 and highlights how some of them might be used by different subjects.

Have a great time using Google Earth and if you have any questions or comments about my presentation, please leave a comment. Also, feel free to use any of the material I've provided, but please, give credit where credit is due. Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...