Tuesday, June 7, 2011

He, She and iGoogle

In a move to keep various pieces of information at our eager fingertips, iGoogle gives users an opportunity to pick and choose the information that most interests them and have it accessible when they enter their iGoogle account. Similar to accessing the basic Google search engine, iGoogle includes its famous search bar, but it also features an innumerable amount of widgets that display news headlines, weather in other parts of the world, events saved in your Google Calendar, or popular YouTube videos.

This application helps tailor the Internet to personal tastes, a descriptor of what is being called Web 3.0. As opposed to the well-known term "Web 2.0", which describes Internet sites that connect users to each other and allow people to collaborate on information (Wikipedia is a classic example of a Web 2.0 site), Web 3.0 focuses more on personalizing the Internet and presenting only information that interests the user.

As an educator, iGoogle keeps me in touch with relevant and current information. I am able to follow blogs, which present information that I can use in the classroom. News headlines help me predict the direction educational technology is moving and it helps me prepare for trainings I may need to offer or lessons I may need to learn myself. By pulling together all of this information you are able to stay current and up-to-date with the your profession, your personal interests, and your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...